Monday, April 22, 2013

DIY Baby Swaddles.

With my niece's arrival quickly approaching, I decided it would be fun to make her a couple of gifts rather than buying. After brain storming and a couple of trips to Mood Fabric in Manhattan, I decided on some headbands and blankets/swaddles. The blankets were super easy and perfect for a summer baby. All you need is a fabric of choice (I picked jersey knit & muslin), scissors, a small paint brush, fabric paint in the color of your choice, and a hand made or store bought stamp. I actually tried to make a sweet potato stamp but that is a place that I will have to revisit as my first attempt was not as successful as I'd like to admit. However, the store bought stamps worked very well and they're perfect if you pick a pattern that you can use for other projects. You will also need some tape to secure the fabric to the floor or table for an even surface for stamping. Once you have everything and have washed your fabric initially, cut out your chosen shape from the fabric--you can either sew the edges or leave them raw. Tape the edges to the floor/table so the blanket is taut, and use the paint brush to apply the fabric to the stamp then stamp away! You may want to trial stamp on a piece of paper so you can find the perfect amount of paint to use for a clear, even stamp. Let it dry over night and then throw it in the wash. Make sure you cold wash it to keep the stamped print nice and vibrant!
---




Good luck!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment